But this year, from July 2010 to July 2011, was different. It was like life in fast-forward. It was really challenging, and crazy busy, and I'm glad I took lots of pictures because I sure don't remember the details. I feel like I've changed a lot too, becoming more confident, relaxed and happy.
On July 27 it will be one year since we stepped off the plane in this hot, dusty, godforsaken country. I didn't like it then and I don't really like it now, but it's amazing what you can get used to. I would not choose to live here, would not return for a nostalgic drive around town, would not recommend it to anyone for any reason.
And yet....as I have said before, we have a good life here. I especially like the people, and the slower pace. Life is what you make it, and I figure if I can find a way to be happy here, I can be happy anywhere.
A week ago, I returned from the U.S. I went with my two older kids, to drop them off at Camp Grandma & Grandpa. It was tough, leaving them there, but I know they will spend their summer riding bikes and running around with friends at dusk, playing sports, going to movies. They will be in church on Sundays, and have piano lesssons, make their baby cousins laugh, and eat drippy ice cream cones. Summer, the way it should be.
I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 weeks home. I got to see almost all my family & friends. I shopped, and shopped, and then went shopping (this is what happens when you have not been in any American stores for a year). According to my scale, I visited a few too many good restaurants as well.
There were a few things that hit me, after being away so long:
- Everything in the US is huge. Fields, trees, roads, vehicles, houses, stores, meals, food packages - everything.
- Americans do a lot of driving, since places are much farther apart (and there are actually places to go). And there are road rules - which they actually follow!
- It was hard to readjust to a time-obsessed culture, after living in a polychronic society for a year
- We are incredibly wealthy and have so much, including our jobs and our freedom
- I have fabulous friends, who I can pick up with as if no time had passed. They are still their wonderful selves, and they understand that I am still me, but that I'm different because of what I've been through
- Nothing is more important than faith and family
So I am back in the swing of things here. Back to work, and also my slightly smaller family! We're really looking forward to our trip to Senegal next week. Things at work have slowed down, and between that, the pool, the beach and a less-intense schedule, I think this will be a great summer.
And now....a little lane-change......
Recently I have enjoyed two sweet treats; I'd like to share the recipes for Blah Blah Brownies and Faux-Fried Ice Cream!
My Ladies Who Lunch group likes to get together at Blah Blah Thè (Tea), a cafè run by a French woman here in Nouakchott. A few weeks ago, we gathered there to say goodbye to our dear friend Katie, and the owner made us a special cake. Well, it was supposed to be cake, but the chef sort of screwed it up, and it came out more like fudge brownies. I got the recipe, and people, these brownies are amazing.
300 grams (@ 10 ounces) dark chocolate*
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
4 eggs, slightly beaten
Melt the chocolate and butter together. Stir in the sugar and eggs. Pour into baking dish and bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes.
*Nouakchott friends: I used Lindt Chocolat Noir Intense 70% Cacao bars
Tonight for dinner, I made chicken enchiladas with a green chile chipotle sauce, rice, and refried beans with pepperjack cheese. The enchiladas were delicious but pretty spicey, so to cool things off, I came up with Faux-Fried Ice cream for dessert:
4 T butter
4 T honey
2 cups Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal, crushed
4 servings frozen-solid vanilla ice cream (think back-of-the-deep-freezer frozen)
Melt the butter and honey together in a skillet. Add the cereal and stir well. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes. Scoop out ice cream and top with the cereal mixture, spreading it over the surface of the ice cream. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment