Yes, he'll be home. It will be joyful and happy, a huge relief. I keep telling him I'm going to sleep for three days straight, because honestly, I don't know what I'm running on over here. Having him back, for good, will be a huge adjustment, too. He's been living a bachelor-like existence, while I've been in overwhelmed single-parent mode, finding ways to cope. Reprising his role as a family man won't be easy for him, and even though I will savor the extra help, I will have to relearn how to live with another adult!
A few days later, our oldest child graduates from 8th grade. (seriously?) I'm so proud of the young man he's becoming, and he has been great as the "man of the house" - taking out the trash, checking the doors at night, changing light bulbs, killing spiders, etc. He also did a LOT of babysitting for me. And he managed to negotiate 8th grade at his old school after being away for a few years; even ended up with decent grades. Not an easy adjustment, academically or socially. I look at him sometimes and think - Aaron was only two years older than this when we starting dating. That can't be right, can it??
Then there's the matter of wrenching our kids away (again) from the friends they have made here. What do you say to them? Uh...sorry? You'll make new friends? I'm sure they will keep in touch, maybe.....yeah. It sucks.
Next up, for fun, we're joining in on my family's garage sale! Then throwing a huge graduation party, which will also be a birthday party for both girls, and, I guess, a farewell party.
After that's cleaned up, we need to get serious about being ready for the movers. What goes into storage? What gets shipped across the oceans in a container? What goes by air? And what to pack in all those suitcases?? (we own 12.)
Sometime before June 26, we need to see friends one more time. We need to see our families as much as possible. We'll celebrate our 16th anniversary. Have to see this movie and go to that restaurant. Go shopping for stuff we can't get in Madagascar. And I suppose we'll need to eat, sleep and shower too.
Finally, a flight to Paris. A welcome overnight stay at the airport Hilton. A flight to Madagascar. Adjust to the time change. The culture shock. Meet new people. Meet our new dog! Figure things out.
Wow, that'll be a fun ride. Maybe afterwards we can get popcorn and cotton candy and laugh at the people on the Tilt-a-Whirl.


1 comment:
Oh, we are right there with you friend! Good luck and try to sleep at some point!
Post a Comment