| This is what it looks like to pack for 6 people to move overseas. Organized Chaos. |
Our travel could not have gone smoother. There was no running through airports to get to the gate on time, no lost luggage, no sick children, no delays. Charles de Gaulle airport did not even break me this time - no tears!! The overnight flight from Chicago to Paris is taxing, especially if, like me, you do not sleep on planes. I tried alcohol, I tried drugs, no use.
| Natalie and Olivia and our mountain of luggage |
| Waiting for our flight |
| Awesome airport view from our hotel in Paris! |
I was kind of dreading the 10 hour flight to Antananarivo. But it was a daytime trip, and our 400+ fellow passengers were cheery and easy-going. Between movies, iPods, books and lots of food service (thank you Air France!!) it did not seem so bad.
| In Paris for only a day but....Nick and I had to have a Croque Monsieur |
So, first impressions....it is impossible not to compare it to our last post, which I
| This is the playground outside our building! Aaron and Alex were playing soccer while Liv and Natalie made new friends |
Our house is a large,two-story apartment within a gated community. It is brand new and very Euro-looking. Really beautiful. I still can't get over it! I will post pictures soon. The kids really like it, especially the fact that other American kids live in the same building, and there is a playground and soccer pitch right outside the front door. Because it's in this safe area, they will be able to ride scooters and bikes freely without worrying about traffic.
The fact that Aaron was here for 9 months before we arrived is making the transition 100% easier than usual. He had the house all set up and the food stocked. He knows people and how to get places. Yesterday he drove us around, showed us the embassy, the school and our pretty-impressive-for-a-third-world-country grocery store. We've already met a few of his friends, and ate at a decent restaurant. My only complaints so far are the horrifying traffic (not a whole lotta roads here) and the fact that my hardwood floors are so slippery. (boohoo for me, right?)
I am so happy to be all together again, and to be in this lovely place. Bring on the next two years, Madagascar, I'M HERE!! Just let me get over this jetlag first......

2 comments:
Bravo for you, Julie, for getting a blog post up so soon! Thanks for the update AND the photos. Glad the travel went so well...all the best as you get acclimated physically, socially, emotionally. AF
Hooray!!
So happy to know you've all arrived "home" and are settling in. Frankly, just love reading about the voyage and all things travelly and hearing about your new place. Been thinking of you and wish you all a happy housewarming! Enjoy your time in Tana... hope we can make it there for a "hello" before you depart.
Hugs hugs hugs!! Enjoy that weather for me... it's hot as Hades in Texas :)
Post a Comment