OK. I was kind of crabby about having to spend 4 days in the DC area before our overseas departure. It seemed inconvenient and unnecessary. After coming home from Yellowstone, we had to unpack, do laundry, do more shopping, pay bills, get to doctor appointments, buy a new truck, supervise the packout (thousands of pounds of air baggage plus consumables and household goods to be sent via container ship), pack the rest of our stuff in suitcases and say our sad goodbyes to family.....now I was expected to sit in a boring hotel in Virginia for a long weekend, waiting for the dreaded marathon of overseas travel with 4 kids? Well, yes. Aaron's employer will only let us fly out from the DC area, or from our last post, which was Minneapolis. Had we gone back
there, the chances were high that I'd bolt from the hotel and just hide out, because I love love love Minnesota. Also, he had meetings here in DC. So here we are.
 |
Natalie decided to empty out her suitcase;
doesn't she looked pleased with herself? |
Anyway it turns out that this long, lazy weekend was just what we needed. The fun started once we finally got to our hotel; we found out we'd been upgraded from the Homewood Suites to the Embassy Suites next door. We have a spacious suite, there's free breakfast, two pools, and a free shuttle to anywhere close by. Since then, our daily agenda went like this: sleep in, eat, shop, eat, swim, run around the hotel, eat, watch tv/movies, sleep. Today we also visited the Air & Space museum near the airport (
http://www.nasm.si.edu/udvarhazy) . It's been really good to relax and enjoy being a family.
Since we've been eating out for every lunch and dinner, it's been quite a food fest! And because we're moving to a 3rd world country with very few restaurant options (and certainly none with kids meals, highchairs, buffalo wings etc) we have tried to hit all our favorites. We've had McDonald's, pizza, Starbucks (twice), ice cream (twice), Buffalo Wild wings, Chik-fil-A, Mexican, Five Guys, and Chinese. Wow.
Tomorrow evening we'll head to the airport to begin the next chapter in our story. Stay tuned for our next post: "First Impressions!"
4 comments:
Glad you had a good weekend and can't wait for that first update!
have a safe and easy trip; I am very eager to hear what it's like to live in Mauritania with a young family. Hope you will keep blogging. Best of luck.
Best of luck on your travels - looking forward to hearing about your new adventures!
Hello Tambrini Family,
I've been praying for you and stumbled across your blog address. My guess is that you are there and exhausted, but excited also. I hope all the kids are well. I will continue to pray as culture shock hits and settling in isn't always fun.
Jenny Hilkemann
Post a Comment