OUR BLOG HAS MOVED!

09 August 2010

Feeding an American Family in Nouakchott

When I got married, I was what you'd call a novice cook.  I knew how to bake a few things, boil water, reheat leftovers.  Aaron grew up in a family who owned a catering business, so he knew a lot more, and ended up teaching me.  After a few years of trial and error and meals dumped straight in the trash ("Hello, Colucci's Pizza? I'd like to place an order..."), I became a decent cook.

When you move overseas, you have to relearn some things, like planning and preparing meals.  Food is food.  But in a foreign country, the packaging and measurements get really confusing, and it can be difficult or impossible to find the ingredients you need for your American favorites and recipes.
 
Last night, out of desperation, I made panvis, a Dutch fish casserole. I don't like fish. Aaron doesn't like casseroles. But according to Eet Smakelijk (a cookbook I got as a wedding gift), we actually had all the ingredients in the house, so that was dinner.  It was edible, but it won't be going into the rotation.

In Tunisia, I remember sort of doing without recipes for the first few months, which for me is the equivalent of driving across the country without a map.  But, it made me a better cook, throwing together a little of this and that to see what you get, trying new things, and not being afraid....because you could walk down the street and buy more ingredients, and try again. 

Here I'm a little more afraid, because shopping is chore.  You can't walk anywhere, you have to drive. Since we don't have our truck yet, and I can't drive Aaron's work vehicle, I have to wait for him, or a friend.  You have to hope the store(s) you want to go to are open, especially now that Ramadan is approaching.  To get the items on your list, you have to go to 2 or 3 different stores, plus the produce market (intimidating) or stand, the butcher and possibly the bakery too!  It's quaint and old fashioned, but it's nuts. 

The grocery stores are nicer and better-stocked than I thought they'd be, but their inventory is very random.  One might not have sour cream, but the next one will.  The store that did not have your favorite soda now has a whole wall of it.  At this one you find flour and sugar but no spices or baking powder.  At the next store you are shocked to find mozzarella and....Pringles?  Really??

So here's what we've been eating.  Breakfast, devoid of favorites like Eggo waffles and bagels, has mostly been overpriced French cereal, fruit, yogurt (full-fat, laden with sugar, so yummy), or extremely square toast from the Canary Islands with German hazelnut spread or butter.  The baby eats eggs, which have to be washed, bleached and very well cooked before I let her touch them.  A couple mornings, Aaron has made crepes, which we let the kids fill with whatever they want.

Lunch is a problem, as we have no mac-n-cheese, no chicken nuggets, no peanut butter, no hot dogs, no lunchmeat, no cheese besides emmental (blech), none of the usual kid favorites.  So it's been pasta and sauce, or sandwiches with scary Saudi Arabian jelly, or sometimes, leftovers from dinner the day before. But usually, everyone is ravenous from their meager lunch, and every bite of dinner gets eaten, so no leftovers.

What's cookin?  Shrimp, fresh veg and couscous, mmmm
It's easy to come up with dinner ideas - chicken, fish or beef with lots of fresh vegetables, rice or couscous or baguettes (lots of those here)..... but I have to really plan ahead.  There's the shopping issue, first of all. And in the absence of frozen and convenience foods, everything has to be made from scratch.  There isn't even any boneless/skinless chicken, which means we are constantly roasting whole chickens and hacking them apart.  The produce and eggs all have to be washed then soaked in bleach water.  We have to make our own ice cream, for Pete's sake. It's like living in 1890.  Next the country will run out of butter and we'll have to buy a churn!

I shouldn't complain. We're not starving. We're forced to spend time together in the kitchen, and I know we're eating healthier.  But I can't wait to get back to my familiar recipes, plus aisles and aisles of everything I need in one big grocery store. 

Nick helping with dinner




7 comments:

Faye said...

Love your blogs, Julie. And Grandma would be so happy you're using "Eet Smakelijk" -- or Get Shmockin', as I recall Aaron referring to it! Seriously, that shrimp dinner looked pretty good.

Jen said...

Have your first visitor load up one suitcase with cheese and ice packs (freeze the cheese first). We used to load up on cheddar in the States and schlep back to Caracas, as we found cheddar once and then it just disappeared...

There is netgrocer (or Amazon, think I ordered from them) for Annie's mac n cheese? I used to keep a stash in Iceland for those quick lunches and the kids still like it.

I know you guys are still getting used to things and it's not that easy, but thanks for sharing...really great to hear the nitty-gritty, if you will...

Bfiles said...

you are my favorite kind of blogger...really telling it like it is. I am bowing to your challenge of feeding the kids in Mauritania. Please keep sharing, it's so interesting and helpful. I'm sure you will get the hang of it as time goes by.

Amy Gordon said...

Julie...I love reading your posts and look forward to them every week. You are leading such an interesting and unconventional life. I have much respect for you and your family. You are kind of living a reality tv show over there...hey, can you get some web-cams hooked up? Just kidding.

Norie said...

Love your blogs!! You are so good at telling what's going on with you and your family in Nouakchott! Also this is great information for us! Looking forwrd to the next update!

Teresa in Tunisia said...

Ouch Julie. Make sure to check out the blog for ideas....I've changed it over to www.lunchingladiesstatesiderecipes.blogspot.com since I'm not exactly overseas. Many are made from scratch and hopefully, will give you some ideas. Bon cooking!

Anonymous said...

Hey Julie. Wow, you are bringing back memories for me. I'd love to send you some of my favorite "from scratch" recipes if you'd like them. I will also send the cheese packets from mac and cheese if you want them. That worked great for us. I found that one packet worked great for twice the pasta that is in the boxes here. I'd just add a little extra shelf-stable milk and no refrigeration needed margarine. :) Blessings to you all as you continue to adjust and get meals on the table. I used to feel like I'd finished a marathon every time I got to sit down for a meal.
~Jenny Hilkemann