With almost a month here already gone by, we feel like we're settling in and figuring it all out. I didn't say it feels like
home, but we are getting used to The Way Things Are.
I started my part-time job with a full-time week of work, just so I could learn the ropes. Going back to work after 9 years is a really strange feeling, but so far I enjoy the job and am excited to have rejoined the adult world. The kids are NOT HAPPY that I'm working and I get a lot of phone calls during the day ("Natalie's
crying, Alex won't eat what you made for lunch, I want to play Wii but Alex won't let me, I miss you mommy, when are you coming home? Where are the batteries? Why do you have to work?" etc etc). I'm hoping once the older 3 start school next week, we will just fall into a nice little routine. Hoping.
To update you since my last post about making meals here, I'm happy to say that we got our air shipment, and my forward-thinking husband had tossed in some food essentials: peanut butter, mac-n-cheese, barbeque sauce, salad dressing, cereal, seasonings and such. This, combined with orders from Amazon, has made cooking a little easier. We also discovered the best pizza in town. It's a little hole-in-the-wall place and you have to order a day ahead of time (no joke), and then you have to call when you get there and enter through these unmarked gates. If pizza were outlawed like alcohol was in the US during prohibition, this is how you'd have to get your hands on it. But it's all worthwhile, especially if you just can't stand the thought of a few hours of meal prep, eating, and then all the cleanup (with no dishwasher).
We did some serious room-swapping this weekend, to make the house work a little better for us. Nick now has his own room, where the playroom was originally. He now has space to put his gigantic Lego collection and his model trains (they were in the dining room before; I didn't want them there). The living room has become the playroom - it's on the main floor, there's more space, and I can worry less about the kids falling down the stairs. (Somewhere, an auntie of mine is now laughing at me and my worries.) The very large dining room became a nice dining/living room combo. And Olivia also has her own room, which she has been whining (um, I mean asking) for since we arrived. Alex and Natalie are now sharing a bedroom, because neither of them care where they sleep or where all their precious stuff is.
And now, what you've all been waiting for - pictures!
 |
| Alex and Natalie in the wagon on the embassy grounds |
|
| Olivia bike riding at the embassy |
 |
| The beach! |
 |
| Nick loves the Atlantic Ocean! |
 |
| Sack races at today's embassy picnic! |
 |
| Our community's cutest little members! |
 |
| Driving around town |
 |
| Aaron had to relearn how to drive stickshift! |
 |
| Driving around town |
5 comments:
I just love reading your blog. Glad to hear you are settling in a bit. I'm curious about the beach- it is beautiful!! But looks very deserted. Do people go there to play/spend the day? Too hot? Are there restaurants nearby? Love the pics. Looking fwd to hearing more.
Thank you again for sharing your story and pictures! We are always looking forward to your updates! Can't wait to order the pizza!
Great pictures Julie! I'm so happy you guys are there safe and sound and that you're doing well there.
Thanks for keeping us updated!
♥ Megan
It is very hot here now so if people go to the beach they go earlier or later in the day. It's a nice place to go for awhile but there are no facilities or changing rooms. There are a few restaurants on the beach but we have not found them yet. Lots of coastline here to explore.
Glad you guys are settling in, that you are enjoying work and what a beach! Also, great to hear about the pizza...having that go to place really helps...
Post a Comment