OUR BLOG HAS MOVED!

22 September 2010

The Poseidon Adventure


This morning I woke up at 5am to the lovely sound of a waterfall. Splashing water is so peaceful and calming ....... um no, wait a second, was that lightning?  It's raining outside. And that's no waterfall, that's water pouring into the house!

The rain was actually coming in underneath the door to our roof, then cascading onto the staircases below.  It was raining so hard that there wasn't much we could do besides start piling towels by the door and on the stairs.  We looked around for other problems and found that the upstairs windows in the hallway were also leaking, and there was water all over the floor. The paint on the walls was starting to buckle as well.

Rain is sort of a problem here.  The city has poor infrastructure, no drainage system, and no strict building codes.  So the streets flood, the flat roofs leak, and water comes in through windows and doors that don't close quite right. 

I took some pictures on the way to work to show you what a mess it is after a hard rainfall:









3 comments:

Bfiles said...

oh, no. Hope the house and your things are alright. I remember those intense rain storms well.

Donna said...

You're in this week's FS RoundUp. If you want out, please let me know: http://emailfromtheembassy.blogspot.com/2010/09/weekly-roundup-sponsored-by-me.html

Connie said...

Well, at least you have rain. I've been missing the rain in Jordan and am so happy we're heading to the cooler months and what little bit of rain we are due. Of course, I do agree that rain belongs on the OUTSIDE of the house, and we have a similar problem (smaller scale!) of rain coming into houses that aren't really designed to keep it out.