So last night we were invited to our first dinner party here. We had wine and good company and amazing Ethiopian food. (I'm still not sure what exactly we ate, but it was delicious.) When it was time for dessert, I was at the buffet pouring coffee for myself and Aaron, when I realized there was a COCKROACH running around ON THE COFFEEPOT.
Now people, I don't like bugs, and that has to be the nastiest bug you'd ever see in your house. If we were at home, I would have screamed and thrown the pot across the room and left the house and refused to come back in until an exterminator told me they were GONE, dead, in a trash can outside.
But, as we were in polite company, and the host was standing right next to me, I calmly set the pot down, brushed away the roach with a napkin and went on pouring coffee.
"Was that what I think it was?" the host muttered to me.
"Yes. Yes it was."
"Well you handled it very...diplomatically," he laughed.
Unfortunately, everyone there then felt the need to share their Africa bug stories - I will spare you those details!!
7 comments:
I am impressed! I think i would still have screamed and thrown it across the room - even being company!
I am screaming now!!!!!!! very impressive Julie.
did you check the coffee INSIDE the mug?:-) gross, i know..
Nice job, Julie! I'm sure I would've screamed and spilled the hot coffee! :)
I... HATE....roaches. I would've screamed and run from the house. I'm proud of you, dear.
Ugh. I loathe the creatures more than you can imagine and loved having a cat in Caracas, as he dealt with them. Bailey would have fun with them, and I never found anything but dried up carcasses.
And I can exactly hear the way you said the "yes. Yes it was."
I still at how you laughed at me at Cabin John for telling Ceiba not to squash the ant. Think it went a little something like, "I think your crazy, but I respect your decision".
And you know you should have just carried him outside... just kidding. Well handled.
Post a Comment