But ...after making the decision to stay home for a year, we had to rent a house....and finding a rental house that fit 4 kids and allowed pets was pretty much impossible. So I had to find another family for Spot, which broke my heart. Don't feel too bad for the dog though.....she now lives the upper-middle-class suburban life, with a super nice family in northwest Indiana. She gets to sleep on her owners' bed, gets gourmet food and the finest care. A rags-to-riches story.
So, I insisted on getting a new dog when we moved here. There are always embassy people coming and going, and Aaron knew of one family leaving in July, and they had a dog they were unable to take with them. I exchanged emails and pictures with them, and that was it - the timing and everything would work out really well. I loved the pictures of this fluffy, family-friendly pooch! Bonus: he had hair, instead of fur - a feature unique to his breed, and this made him easier on allergy-sufferers like my husband. Perfect.
His name is Poutsik....which, apparently, in the local language is like calling him "Whitey." (The Malagasy word for white is potsy, pronounced "poot-see." He is mostly Coton de Tulear, mixed with something else (we'll never know). Cotons are known as the national breed of Madagascar, and they have interesting origins.We've had him for almost a month now and I have to say, he's very obedient, quiet, patient with our kids, and just really happy for a little attention and a couple daily romps outside. He doesn't mind baths or being brushed, which is good, because that cotton-like hair traps all kinds of stuff. I will be sending him to the groomer once a month too, to keep his hair on the short side. There is a nice place here that does boarding/grooming/vet care - and they will even do pick-up and delivery for a very low price.
Lucky dog, he's a Tambrini now. ; )
![]() |
| Before picture...this is how we looked when we got him. The breed is supposed to have long hair, but who has time for that? I like seeing his big eyes! |



No comments:
Post a Comment